Merck India inaugurates its R&D Excellence Centre in Bengaluru
By utilising India’s scientific talent and technical advancements, the R&D Excellence Centre aims at promoting innovation among the scientific community to improve healthcare solutions around the globe
Merck recently announced the inauguration of its healthcare R&D Excellence Centre facility in Bengaluru.
In a statement, the company said that the Merck India R&D Excellence Centre contributes to the company’s healthcare Research & Development (R&D) ambition of delivering the healthcare remedies of tomorrow, that can help treat patients with unmet medical needs around the world. By utilising India’s scientific talent and technical advancements, the R&D Excellence Centre aims at promoting innovation among the scientific community to improve healthcare solutions around the globe.
Commenting on the inauguration of the centre in Bengaluru, Suneela Thatte, VP and Head R&D Excellence Centre ,said, “…………Through the centre, we will strengthen our presence in healthcare R&D in India, while supporting Merck Group’s global efforts in drug discovery. The R&D Excellence Centre at Merck enables employees with an innovation-friendly environment, encouraging their curiosity. The Centre in Bengaluru aims to establish a one-team culture, delivering critical responsibilities in the drug-development journey as well as develop a valuable talent pool……”
The statement noted that the R&D Excellence Centre continues to evolve with various functions critical across R&D from its inception in 2021. There are different functions of R&D Excellence Centre which includes monitoring safety of Merck’s medicines throughout their use in healthcare practice and managing scientific exchange to enhance patient care by improving efficiency and ensuring quality and consistency. Currently, the centre constitutes six different functions:
• Global Regulatory Affairs (GRA) harmonises and centralises regulatory execution, driving deliverables in strong collaboration with the global R&D functions and other R&D hubs in healthcare.
• Global Patient Safety (GPS) monitors safety of Merck’s medicines throughout their use in healthcare practice. The team collaborates with the global R&D functions and plays a significant role in integrating deep knowledge of safety into early decision-making.
• Global Development Operations (GDO), in alignment with the global R&D functions, delivers clinical study portfolio leveraging technology and digital innovations.
• Strategy, Portfolio & Innovation (SP&I) team is responsible for interfacing cross-functional management of the Development portfolio, along with R&D digital and data transformation.
• Global Scientific Exchange and Communication (GSEC) manages scientific exchange to enhance patient care by improving efficiency and ensuring quality and consistency.
• Global Biostatistics Epidemiology and Medical Writing (GBEM) team of medical writers focusses on bringing data to life in core decision making, consistently delivering on improving medicine.