Express Pharma

Healthcare industry reported 77 deals worth $27.3 billion in April 2021

One big ticket deal contributed 63.8 per cent deal value in April 2021

0 380

In April 2021, the healthcare industry reported 77deals worth $27.3 billion as compared to last 12-month average (April 2020 to March 2021) of 100 deals worth $20.2 billion.

Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc, to acquire PPD Inc, a provider of clinical research services for a purchase price of $17.4 billion was the big-ticket deal, which contributed 63.8 per cent of the total deal value in April 2021. Other top deals during the period were Humana, to acquire remaining 60 per cent interest in Kindred Healthcare LLC, a post-acute healthcare services company for $5.7 billion; IQVIA Holdings Inc to acquire the remaining 40 per cent interest in Q2 Solutions, a global clinical trial laboratory services organisation for $760 million; and Sanofi to acquire Tidal Therapeutics Inc for $470 million.

Deal DateAcquirer (s)TargetDeal Value ($ m)
15-Apr-21Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc (US)PPD Inc (US)17,400.0
27-Apr-21Humana Inc(US)Kindred Healthcare LLC (US)5,700.0
1-Apr-21IQVIA Holdings Inc (US)Q2 Solutions (US)760.0
9-Apr-21Sanofi (France)Tidal Therapeutics Inc (US)470.0
1-Apr-21Royalty Pharma Plc (US)Royalty Interest in Cabometyx and Cometriq (US)392.0

VC investments decreased by 47 per cent in April 2021, compared to March 2021

The healthcare industry reported 115 venture capital (VC) deals worth $4.6 billion in April 2021, compared to last 12-month average (April 2020 to March 2021) of 149 deals worth $4.4 billion.

Adagio Therapeutics, Inc, raising $336 million in series C round of financing to support rapid advancement of Novel ADG20 antibody for the treatment and prevention of COVID-19; Exscientia raising $225 million in series D round of financing to advance its proprietary pipeline through clinical testing as well as continue expanding the technology platform toward autonomous drug design; and Repertoire Immune Medicines, raising $189 million in series B financing to support further expansion of its proprietary DECODE discovery platform, are the major VC deals reported in April 2021.

Deal DateAcquirer (s)TargetDeal Value ($ m)
19-Apr-21Omega Fund Management LLC; Orbimed Advisors LLC; Adimab LLC; Mithril Capital Management LLC; RA Capital Management LP; Polaris Partners LLC; Redmile Group LLC; Fidelity Management & Research Company; Federated Hermes Inc; Foresite Capital Management LLC; Premji Invest; ArrowMark Partners; GV Management Co LLC; Population Health Partners LLC; Undisclosed Investor(s)Adagio Therapeutics Inc (US)336.0
27-Apr-21BlackRock Inc; Marshall Wace LLP; Farallon Capital Management LLC; Bristol-Myers Squibb Co; Casdin Capital LLC; Mubadala Investment Co; Pivotal bioVenture Partners LLC; Novo Holdings AS; GT Healthcare Capital Partners LP; Laurion Capital Management LP; SoftBank Vision Fund II; Hongkou Capital LPExscientia Ltd (United Kingdom)225.0
13-Apr-21Invus Group LLC; Flagship Pioneering Inc; Public Sector Pension Investment Board; Alaska Permanent Fund Corporation; SoftBank Vision Fund II; Undisclosed Investor(s)Repertoire Immune Medicines (US)189.0
13-Apr-21Deerfield Management Company LP; ARCH Venture Partners LP; Goldman Sachs Capital Partners; Eli Lilly and Co; Nolan Capital, Inc.Jaguar Gene Therapy LLC (US)139.0
20-Apr-21Orbimed Advisors LLC; RA Capital Management LP; EcoR1 Capital LLC; Hartford HealthCare Corp; Avalon Ventures, LLC; Bregua Corp; BVF Partners LP; Samsara BioCapital LLC; Janus Henderson Investors; Surveyor Capital Ltd; Logos Global Management LLCJanux Therapeutics Inc (US)125.0


Source: GlobalData

- Advertisement -